Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Replication Suggestions

I have an application with a sql backend. My company has an external
database on the webbox and an internal database for inter-company use. I
was given the job of replicating this database between external and internal.
I have 3 sql servers; BOX1 is external box that is used to run web frontend
and house the external backend of app, BOX2 is internal (conduit between
internal and external), BOX3 is another internal box that is used for backend
db of the internal frontend (hope this makes sense). BOX2 can only be a pull
subscription from BOX1 and somehow this has to repl to BOX3. This
application is a third party vendor app so I cannot modify the data
structure. I'm new to replication and I'm not sure what the best way to
accomplish this task. I tried transactional but I ran into a snag with 15 of
the 120 tables that do not have unique id's. Any ideas or suggestions
would be great.
Thanks in Advance,
rob
What you are trying to do is called republishing. Set up Box2 to be a
publisher to Box3. Set up Box1 to replicate to Box2. Make sure when you are
creating your articles you select the snapshot option, keep existing table
unchanged.
Regarding your problem with a lack of unique id's - I think you mean a lack
of Primary Keys. Examine the data to see if you can't put primary keys on
these tables - they are updating and deleting rows on these tables according
to some criteria used to uniquely identify them - if you can figure out what
this criteria is - make this your pk.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Rob" <Rob@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C247C730-10DF-4ED1-8C2E-CA26AA593066@.microsoft.com...
>I have an application with a sql backend. My company has an external
> database on the webbox and an internal database for inter-company use. I
> was given the job of replicating this database between external and
> internal.
> I have 3 sql servers; BOX1 is external box that is used to run web
> frontend
> and house the external backend of app, BOX2 is internal (conduit between
> internal and external), BOX3 is another internal box that is used for
> backend
> db of the internal frontend (hope this makes sense). BOX2 can only be a
> pull
> subscription from BOX1 and somehow this has to repl to BOX3. This
> application is a third party vendor app so I cannot modify the data
> structure. I'm new to replication and I'm not sure what the best way to
> accomplish this task. I tried transactional but I ran into a snag with 15
> of
> the 120 tables that do not have unique id's. Any ideas or suggestions
> would be great.
> Thanks in Advance,
> rob
>
|||Like Hillary states, some refer this process as cascading from A to B, from
B to C. Works well as long as the transactions are all going in one
direction. With Regards to unique ids, you are probably refering to PKs.
Follw Hillary's advise.
"Hilary Cotter" <hilary.cotter@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uPWgfQCDGHA.1816@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> What you are trying to do is called republishing. Set up Box2 to be a
> publisher to Box3. Set up Box1 to replicate to Box2. Make sure when you
are
> creating your articles you select the snapshot option, keep existing table
> unchanged.
> Regarding your problem with a lack of unique id's - I think you mean a
lack
> of Primary Keys. Examine the data to see if you can't put primary keys on
> these tables - they are updating and deleting rows on these tables
according
> to some criteria used to uniquely identify them - if you can figure out
what[vbcol=seagreen]
> this criteria is - make this your pk.
> --
> Hilary Cotter
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
> Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
> http://www.indexserverfaq.com
> "Rob" <Rob@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C247C730-10DF-4ED1-8C2E-CA26AA593066@.microsoft.com...
I[vbcol=seagreen]
to[vbcol=seagreen]
15
>

No comments:

Post a Comment