Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Replication target table shrinks to zero

I want to replicate a database to a subscriber that will be used as a read
only copy. The data has to be replicated as close to instantly as possible.
To do this I set up a database export of objects and data to populate the
subscriber, then I set up transactional replication. To verify that
replication is working successfully, I count the rows in each table, there
are 3 tables in total. For one of the tables, the replication completes but
almost immediately afterward, the table starts to shrink, and after several
hours the record count is zero. This isn't happening to the other two
tables, and I can't figure out why.

If you have no idea what might be causing this, perhaps you can suggest
some places to start looking. This is Win2k SP4 with SQL 2000 SP3.

Thanks much."someguy" <nospam@.thanks.com> wrote in message
news:Xns945451BFDB728nospamthankscom@.207.35.177.13 5...
> I want to replicate a database to a subscriber that will be used as a read
> only copy. The data has to be replicated as close to instantly as
possible.
> To do this I set up a database export of objects and data to populate the
> subscriber, then I set up transactional replication. To verify that
> replication is working successfully, I count the rows in each table, there
> are 3 tables in total. For one of the tables, the replication completes
but
> almost immediately afterward, the table starts to shrink, and after
several
> hours the record count is zero. This isn't happening to the other two
> tables, and I can't figure out why.

Sounds like there's a trigger or another user operating on that table.

Replication itself should not cause a table to shrink (unless of course the
original source table is shrinking.)

> If you have no idea what might be causing this, perhaps you can suggest
> some places to start looking. This is Win2k SP4 with SQL 2000 SP3.
> Thanks much.

No comments:

Post a Comment